Thursday, October 7, 2010

Talk at Roger Williams University

Polina and I after the presentation



Last night was my presentation at Roger Williams. It was my first time ever visiting and put simply, I couldn't have been more impressed with the coordination and maturity of the students who both organized the event and those who attended. A few days after I accepted one of the Do Something Awards on VH1, I was emailed by a young lady from RWU who was interested in helping my cause in any way she could. I told her about my upcoming speaking tour and how I would happily make room for a visit to RWU. Over the next few months, this woman, Polina (a junior at RWU) organized everything from the pre-event dinner with select students to the actual presentation itself. Since she did this on her own and not as a part of a student group, she had more obstacles than usual to overcome in order to have her university approve and pay to bring me in as a presenter.

After a wonderful dinner with about 15 of the RWU students ranging from Freshman to Seniors, we made our way over to the auditorium. My presentation was set to go and the cameras were set up and ready to record the entire event. I was most grateful for three things: 1. Nearly all of the seats were filled
2. Even though my talk was scheduled for 45 minutes, I went for just over an hour and no one left :)
3. No one fell asleep
These are the three things that any presenter hopes for!

Talking with three highly motivated seniors on their way to medical school.

Meeting some of the students after the talk

No comments:

-- Start Bravenet.com Service Code -->