Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It was a busy day. I woke up early to get in my morning run. I decided to just run to Robenson's mother's house. I wanted to give her the news that La Charite is willing to help care for Robenson. When I arrived, she ignored the sweat all over my face and greeted me with a kiss. She had been preparing some rice over a fire and asked me if I was hungry. On any other day, I would have copped a squat on the ground and filled my belly but my to-do list for the day was a mile long and I had to get going. I told her that she should go and visit him as soon as possible to see where he is. I told her that the nuns were expecting her and that she was welcomed there anytime. She seemed relieved by this invitation and assured me that she will find a way there tomorrow morning. I asked her for a copy of his birth certificate to give to the nuns, which she had kept in a coffee can in her bedroom. As soon as I stepped foot into her home, I couldn't help but to look down at the corner where I found Robenson just 24 hours earlier. For some weird reason, part of me, expected to see him there even though I had personally taken him away. I had this strange feeling the whole time that he was still there in spirit and that maybe the answer wasn't to take him away at all but to find a way to keep him with his mother.
This afternoon, Sister Maria Filo, the mother superior at La Charite came by with a 13 year-old boy named Daniel who had snuck into their place last night. They found him this morning sleeping under one of the beds in the children's ward. He had been living on the street, cleaning cars and begging for money. Most of us expected this exchange. We bring them a child and they reciprocate.
Maria Filo was happy to hear that Robenson's mother will be visiting tomorrow and told me that she would like to figure out a way to help his mother care for him. Since Robenson's mother is young, healthy and loves her only son, she is the perfect example of someone who the sisters can help, by giving her assistance in properly caring for Robenson. Whether it be money, food, clothes or a bed, we all agree that he belongs home with his mother providing she is given what she needs to care for him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wil, whatever happens to Robenson
in the future he will be a lot better off, thanks to your action.
You are doing an incredible job.

-- Start Bravenet.com Service Code -->